SN Blog 65 – The Transfer Committee

with 13 Comments

I am one of the admins who spends a lot of time in our comments sections on Facebook and as such I am often the poor soul taking the hits for the club.  I do not know why, I guess people just need to vent and when venting do not like anyone offering a counter point of view.  I suppose that is true in life, I should maybe learn when and when not to correct people – would explain why my marriage didn’t work BUT I digress…

Something I see discussed a lot and largely due to really poor reporting in the press is who is in charge of our transfers.  This has been brought into sharp focus recently due to the manager getting really annoyed in press conferences over constant transfer questions.  His quotes in response all on the face seem to indicate he is frustrated at a lack of transfers and that he is not involved at all.

The reality is he is heavily involved and his frustration which boiled over, he now says, is at the constant questions directed at him when in fact – when it comes to completing the deals – that is not his job and he is 100% correct in that.  Although I am sure he knows there were better ways to shut the press up without getting that annoyed it can happen to the best of us.  His pre match press conference before Aston Villa this Saturday should make for interesting viewing / listening for sure.

At Spurs there are four men (five if you include Jesus Perez) who are the “transfer committee” and they are the chairman Daniel Levy, the manager Mauricio Pochettino, the head of recruitment and scouts Steve Hitchen and lastly the head of the academy John McDermott.

The scouts identify players, John will compare to what he has in the academy and comment as to if he believes we already have better or with games instead of a new signing some have the potential to be better.  Pochettino of course will have players in mind from his own knowledge and connections that he wants to bring in and work with.  Steve Hitchen will then scout and put together reports via his team on these players to make sure they tick the boxes for the club.

Once these players are agreed, normally with plan A and back up B options, it is down to the man pictured above to make them happen.  Daniel Levy, as the chairman is the man in control of transfers really.  We can scout and scout, Poch can want and John can agree but its down to money and the boss to make it happen.

In the last two windows we simply did not have the funds to buy who would have been upgrades.  We could have made signings for sure, agents offered us many players who Daniel took to the before mentioned committee however either Poch did not rate them, Steve Hitchen didn’t or John believed we have comparable in the academy.

That is how the system should and does work.

Now, this season funds are available to secure targets identified by Poch (Ndombele) and the scouting team (Clarke) and they are done but the club also had to make some changes, sell some players and therefore free up funds to replace the outgoing – however that has simply not happened how the chairman predicted and now its decision time.

Poch has players he wants out.  He has told these players, the club have allowed them to look for new clubs (Danny Rose) and yet business has not been done.  Depending on your source these players up for sale have not moved due to either (a) our asking price or (b) players wage demands.  Irony, when people in the media say we do not pay well and yet our players cannot find comparable or better wages elsewhere I hope is not lost on anyone.

I think we all know the Toby situation and are kind of done with it but the situation with Christian Eriksen is now front and centre.  Last summer he was offered a great new deal and verbally agreed it.  This has been widely reported by multiple sources now and seems to be taken as fact.  The player was in no rush to sign, happy at Spurs, manager happy with him but due to his happiness to sign etc we as a club rejected two significant £100m+ offers for him last summer.

The player then this summer told the press he wants a move for a new challenge.  He has not been able to secure one, at the time of writing this however and that in turn is causing problems with recruitment.

I believe the club need to gamble.  If Eriksen is going to run his contract down, nothing we can do, learn from it yes and not trust players again – however I believe the gamble we need to take is to spend on his replacement even if he does not leave.  Let him be in the reserves, play a squad role at best and have this season where a new player can bed into the club.

It is a gamble, a financial strain for sure but one I think we need to make.  Over to you Daniel, the clock is ticking!

13 Responses

1. Martin Benham

Good analysis from someone who sounds like they know what they are talking about- I agree with your view that we need to replace Ericsson whether he goes or not – last season was painful and exhilarating all at once and I am facing this season more optimistic than I have been for a few seasons but I do feel we need some more recruits to move forward and an injury free Winks and Kane

2. Graham

I am a new subscriber and thoroughly enjoyed this most interesting and informative blog.
    I agree with your assessment of the individuals mentioned; I have seen more ambition and commitment from our youngsters in three games than I saw from Eriksen all of last season.
    Give the youngsters a real chance.

3. richiePea

Great article

4. Ian Cohen

great article, its been in the public domain this knowledge but the amount of supporters who think that its all down to DL being a frugal chairman really cannot grasp the financial realities and the way the club is run.

5. Trevor Smith

A well written article explaining the recruitment process, which must be the sensible way to go. I tend to ignore the media as regards transfers as it is nearly always speculative and in respect of media reporting on managers/ players “quotes” they are always seeking to cause damage to relationships and get the fans stirred up. As regarding running down a contract what does Levy do. We had the Judas episode years ago and said never again, but what does the club do in those situations? If a player wants to run down his contract and not agree terms with prospective new clubs, we are stuck. Hopefully the Danny, Toby and Christian contract issues will resolve themselves amicably, we will have to wait and see. Coys.

6. Trevor Smith

A well written article explaining the recruitment process, which must be the sensible way to go. I tend to ignore the media as regards transfers as it is nearly always speculative and in respect of media reporting on managers/ players “quotes” they are always seeking to cause damage to relationships and get the fans stirred up. As regarding running down a contract what does Levy do?. We had the Judas episode years ago and said never again, but what does the club do in those situations? If a player wants to run down his contract and not agree terms with prospective new clubs, we are stuck. Hopefully the Danny, Toby and Christian contract issues will resolve themselves amicably, we will have to wait and see. Coys.

7. Maureen Rule

We do not want Christian Eriksen to leave the club,please ask him to sign a new 5 year contract.We need him badly.
    Maureen Rule

8. Simpson Sabaroche

Thanks for the heads up confirming that everything is revolving round Eriksen.
    I’ve also read that Betis are playing hard ball over a huge lump sum upfront for Lo Celso, which in turn also revolves around Eriksen and others leaving. I’m with you 100% fella and believe it’s time for us to gamble, coys.

9. Phil Giles

A very interesting read. However on Ericson I’m not sure if he’s been offered a contract with parity with our top earners. I believe he’s one of our best players, if not the best as he directs most of our play, tops our offensive stars & levy should be doing to encourage him to stay. That way we would concentrating more on what positions we should be strengthening namely a RFB & an additional striker.

• Admin SJ

I am in a fortunate position where I have seen some evidence which is why I stated as fact rather than guess. Eriksen has had an offer on the table which is excellent and he has even said himself any move is not about the money.

10. Paul

Great read thank you.

Unfortunately the comments you will still get even after reading this is generally down to ignorance of the facts and lazy journalism. Or people just believing what they are told and repeating as fact. Oh and am sure it was your wife’s fault

11. Andreas

When a manager is boili g it means he is not being heard. Who else would have stayed with no (!!!!) transfers for 18 months and having an offer from Real Madrid that Daniel asked for money and did not let him go…. Who else. When Daniel will sell then we will see real players. You know Agents and Players also talk among them and Daniel is a man no one and I repeat no one wants to work and bring their top players to us. It’s been discussed for more than 5 years in every Uefa or Agents gathering… End of the story. When a manager is frastrated that means that someone above him is simy not delivering… And in this case one transfer in 24 months and a young guy from Leeds is ridiculous for a Tema that wants to continue its development and finally win…. something!!! Totally on managers side on this one forever!!!

12. Jimbo White

I agree with your conclusion, this whole window has been about Levy trying to mitigate Eriksen leaving for no money. He’s Gambled on Madrid not signing Pogba and going for CK as a secondary option. This all before we spend any more money than is absolutely necessary to keep his promise to MP
    i’m actually a Levy supporter but this was a big moment, and a big gamble, let’s see if he’s right again and we can improve once more with what we have.